Although the City of St. Louis Parks Department mows grass and picks up trash, dedicated volunteers maintain the beautiful gardens of Lafayette Park. Others volunteers take on fundraising and planning tasks to implement major improvement projects. If you would like to participate in any of these efforts, please consider one or more of the following opportunities.
The Flora Conservancy of Lafayette Park
The Flora Conservancy movement began in Forest Park and spread to Carondelet and Lafayette Parks. These three parks were the first in St. Louis to create Master Plans that guide ongoing development. The Flora Conservancy mobilizes experienced and inexperienced volunteer gardeners to perform activities that include:
• Creating and maintaining ornamental garden areas: planning, planting, weeding
• Seasonal cleanup: raking, mulching and pruning.
If you would like to volunteer to work in Lafayette Park gardens, please call (314) 772-5724, Option 7, and leave a message. We’ll be sure to let you know about high-priority landscape, cleanup and maintenance projects, and put you in touch with the garden leaders who maintain the various areas of the park.
• Manage volunteer efforts and coordinate their work with maintenance
performed by City Park.
• Build and maintain a volunteer database, and record and track volunteer hours.
• Solicit, encourage, support and recognize the volunteers who keep the
park looking so good .
• Maintain park facilities and features such as the playground, benches,
monuments and lakes.
Master Plan Park Improvement Projects
• Plan and budget the restoration or recreation of historic park features like the
1876 Music Stand.
• Plan and budget improvements to park facilities such as benches, pathways,
lighting and irrigation.
• Help develop the Conservancy’s fundraising strategies, goals, and priorities.
• Approach individuals, corporations, foundations and government agencies for
• Write grant requests and other communication pieces to support fundraising
• Contact prospective and renewing members to encourage membership .
• Build and maintain a membership/donor database .
• Develop and implement strategies to increase Conservancy membership.
• Plan and host special events, such as Galas, receptions and teas .
• Host educational, social, tourist and community groups who come to tour and
learn about the park.
• Develop and implement strategies to educate the public about Lafayette Park’s
history and current renaissance .
Publicity and Records
• Write articles about the Conservancy and Lafayette Park, and publish vi
website, newsletters, traditional and electronic media.
• Maintain archives of park history and Conservancy records.